History & Heritage
South Tyneside is steeped in history, culture and heritage. The area boasts a number of unique attractions and any visitor will find a selection of fantastic things to do and places to visit.
- Souter Lighthouse - the first electric lighthouse
- Arbeia Roman Fort - walk in the steps of a Roman
- St. Paul's Church - a church set amongst monastery ruins steeped in history
- Explore South Tyneside history at South Shields Museum
- Marsden Grotto - have a quick drink in Europe's only cave made pub, full of colourful characters from the past including smugglers
- Catch a film, comedy or a theatre production at The Customs House and browse around the art collection on display
- Take a walk on one of our heritage trails or walk the 250 million year old coastal route.